Episode 7 – Habits 2 of 4
The Mensch and the Machine – Episode 7 outline: Habits 2 of 4
Book: The Power of Habit By: Charles Duhigg
- More than 40% of the actions you take each day are actually habits.
- Habits are choices that you continue doing repeatedly without actually thinking about them.
- A habit has 3 steps:
- A cue, a trigger that tells your brain which habit to use and puts it into automatic mode.
- The cue: End of afternoon, feeling a bit tired
- A routine, which acts out the habit. This can be physical, mental, or emotional.
- The routine:: Ask a colleague to have a coffee break
- A reward, which is the result of the routine and reinforces the habit.
- The Reward: coffee boost that you are looking for, just need a break, Or it’s the social aspect to chat with some colleagues
- At one point, habits started with a decision, but they eventually became automatic.
- The Golden rule of habit change is based on two steps. For changing a habit:
- identify the components of the habit loop
- change only one part in the loop
- Habits have a powerful effect on our lives.
- New habits can be installed,
- Have a simple cue,
- This could be a poster of your favourite sports person
- It could also be by playing a motivating song
- Have a routine – 10 minutes stretching and pushups
- Have a reward – It could be the endorphin rush or reward yourself with favourite drink afterwards
- Not all habits are created equal – There are keystone habits
- Some habits have a ripple effect and produce much greater effects. They start like a chain reaction
- willpower is the single most important keystone habit because it translates to all other areas in life
- Almost all habitual cues fit into one of five categories:
- Emotional state
- Other people
- Immediately preceding action
- If you’re trying to figure out the cue for a habit, write down five things the moment the urge hits:
- Where are you?
- What time is it?
- What’s your emotional state?
- Who else is around?
- What action preceded the urge?
Podcast: Play in new window | Download